Sunday, January 2, 2011

MENU PLAN AND SAVING MONEY . . .

One of the things I want to do this New Year is start menu planning again. I definitely save money at the grocery store when I plan meals and have all the ingredients I need on hand. I grocery shop once a week (at a store that doubles coupons) and try to never go on the weekend or with my kids. Using coupons and buying items on sale can save me a LOT of money! I follow a few money-saving blogs and print lots of internet coupons. One of my favorite blogs is A Thrifty Mom (don't you love the name of her blog!). She does all the work for you and lists the best deals at grocery stores and drugstores. You can also print coupons directly from her site. 


I have a bunch of coupons to clip and organize and then I'll make my shopping list. My goal is to spend $100 or less each week for groceries. I'm going to the grocery on Monday (after my kids go back to school!) and I'll let you know how much I spent and how much I saved.


Here are the meals I have planned for the next week:


Sunday - Spaghetti & Meatballs, Salad
Monday - Salsa Chicken, Taco Rice
Tuesday - Beef Stir Fry, Rice
Wednesday - Chicken Marsala w/Pasta
Thursday - Eat out or Frozen Pizza
Friday - Chicken Fajitas
Saturday - Dinner at my sister's house (yeah, no cooking for me!)


Do you have any ideas for saving money at the grocery store? I'd love to hear how you organize your coupons and plan weekly meals.   : )


7 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I have never been a coupon clipper, but I think I am gonna start. Grocery Prices are so high, and keep getting higher. Oh yea, don't forget to never go to the grocery store hungry. That may sound silly, but I find myself buying things that I wouldn't ordinarily buy when I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Teresa! If I ever go to the store when I'm hungry I always end up spending more. Thanks for the tip!

    Lori : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I come to your house to eat this week? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I get crazy and plan for the whole month. For some reason, my kids LOVE it when I do that (I post it on the fridge). Plus, every two weeks or so, I add a "kids choice" onto the menu and they each take turns adding their favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The whole month! That takes a lot of planning!
    I like your idea of a kids choice - might have to try that one!

    Lori : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award because I think you are stylish and fabulous!!

    Check it out:
    http://happy-go-lucky-harvey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Kara! This new year is starting out great!

    Lori : )

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I read each and every comment and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit Thrifty Decor Mom.