3 view header

3 view header

Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer 2011 Series - Project 4


I hope you all had a nice weekend! We've been working our buns off trying to finish up our back patio and flower beds! The weather is going to be perfect for the next couple of days so I want to relax and enjoy the outdoors. I don't know about you but I can't relax when there are projects to finish. There are still a few small things to do but for the most part we are done!


Here is the patio off the back of our house:




We chose a patio (instead of a wood deck) because of the low maintenance. All we have to do is hose it off when it's dirty. The steps were built by Handyman Hubby and painted the color of our house trim. 




We didn't go with concrete steps because of the cost. What we wanted was going to cost A LOT so we went with wood instead. I wanted wide, deep steps coming off of the house so Handyman Hubby built this. I love having a place for all my potted plants and flowers. It also serves as extra seating when we have company over.




This area has gone thru a huge transformation! I wanted a seating area that was comfy and inviting. The chairs and table are from Target (last summer) and the outdoor rug is from Lowes. I added some pillows and potted flowers. I've had the little stools for several years and used them at the kitchen and bathroom sinks for my kiddos when they couldn't reach the faucet. They were in my garage sale pile until I realized what great foot stools they would make. 




My umbrella is old and faded but still works! The patio faces the south so we have full sun all day and it gets really hot! Some day I would love to have a pergola over this part of the patio but for now I make due with the faded umbrella.




The other side of the patio is where the table is located. Our table is wood with 4 wood benches and painted the same color as the steps.








This area stays shaded for most of the day thanks to our Honey-Locust Tree. I love the way the low branches make this area feel secluded and cozy!




There is a tin bird house hanging on a low branch along with 2 metal lanterns from Goodwill. My daughter painted the wooden birdhouse and the hanging turquoise jar is a garage sale find.


Under the tree is a birdbath that gets very busy on hot summer days! The birds line up and wait their turn to splash around in the cool water! We can see the birdbath from our bay window and love watching all the different birds that visit.




There are flower beds around the entire patio with  perennials, stepping stones and a few garden accessories.







The fountain was a birthday gift several years ago. I've always wanted a fountain and was so happy to find this on clearance at a great price! It was placed next to the bay window so we could hear the water inside the house. 




Just a few steps off the patio is our fire pit and swing.




There is plenty of room to put chairs all around and the swing is close enough to also enjoy the fire. We tend to use the fire pit more in the fall on cool evenings to roast marshmallows and make smores.


Whew! I'm exhausted from all the yard work! Time to sit outside with a good book and enjoy my patio!


Have a great day!!


Linking up to the following parties:







craft
Making

Keeping It Simple








Domestically SpeakingFunky Junk Interiors

17 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love your stone around the flower bed and fire pit. We used it also! Its great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring! Hoping to fix up our backyard this summer - thanks for the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that firepit surround, this is on my to do list! what a great space you've got back there. that picnic table or that swing would be the perfect place to sit back and read a god book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori - your backyard looks incredible! What a variety of "spaces" you've created - LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I come for a party at your house? You have an awesome back yard. I love how you have different spaces to use throughout your yard.
    Love the patio, makes me want one instead of a deck because I am just getting ready to pressure wash it today, uhhhhh!
    Thanks for sharing and I love the fountain :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice porch. Your garden looks pretty with lots of beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can tell you've put in lots of work because the place looks fantastic! Now it's time to sit back and enjoy!!
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori-

    Your backyard looks great and was worth all the work you put into it. I love all the pops of color. Where did your table? I love it - the size coloring and size. It looks like you can fit a lot of people around it. Nice and cozy for a dinner party.
    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super Cute blog!! :) I am your newest follower! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your blog to learn new things!! If you would like to take a look at my blog that would be wonderful and follow me back! For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com Look out for some giveaways also like mineral make-up. I am new to this but excited to share ideas on yummy food!
    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful back yard space!! Lovely garden and porch!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks nice & relaxing! Thanks for linking this to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and the handy hubby have done a lot of nice things to enhance your back yard. I like the large bed around your patio w/your birdbath and fountain. I haven't seen too many birds in my birdbath lately. I think they stay in the woods and drink out of the creek behind us! LOL We're thinking a get-together next month- Let me know if you're interested and have a preference for a particular weekend. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute patio! I love the cheerful colors you chose. I don't blame you for choosing concrete. Our wooden deck requires a fair amount of maintainence..staining, etc. You and hubby did a great job of making it a warm and inviting space.
    Have a great week,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good and oh so colorful. I love the birdhouses, those are super. Thanks for sharing with the party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Popping over to say hello for the "Blog Party"! i host a garden party on Thursday's & would love to have you come by to peek around or even link up?!? hope to see you sometime! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your patio looks wonderful. I'm always drawn to patios because I don't have one. My house is on the slab so a deck wouldn't work. Did you do the patio yourself? or your husband? or contract it out? My backyard is south facing too but at least I have big trees. The only problem is that I can't grow anything cause of all the shade, except in a few areas. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lori, your home is so gorgeous and I LOVE, LOVE the patio at the back of your house. I like what you've done, it's gorgeous and just perfect. :)

    real estate ph

    ReplyDelete