Wednesday, November 16, 2011

DIY Artwork



Hello peeps! Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next week! Crazy I tell ya!


In between all the drama and chaos at my house I've actually been working on a few things. The walls of my new library are bare (except for the chalkboard). I have an old window that I'm going to hang in there but that's it. So I put my crafty hat on and made some DIY artwork.


This first one was fah-ree! I love to go through my giant pile of stuff I can't throw away decorating items and make something fabulous.






Wait! Before you think I've totally gone crazy, let me explain. This is a cabinet door from my kitchen project. Here it is primed and ready to be transformed into a gorgeous piece of art. Well, that may be stretching it just a bit. Hopefully it will be a DIY art project that doesn't look too homemade and cheesy.




Next step was to paint it a beautiful blue/turquoise color. So far so good.




Then I sanded and rubbed on some brown paint to distress it. Ummm, not sure if I'm liking this.




I decided to paint the middle of the cabinet door and then hot glued some old metal keys on. It was okay but not exactly what I wanted.


Here is what I ended up with . . .




I added some striped paper to the middle and painted over the distressed part with the same color I used on my library table.




Love, love, love it! I know it may not be for everyone but for me, well, it's pretty darn perfect!


I'm still working on the other project but here is a sneak peak . . .




I found a set of these at Kirklands a few years ago and they looked great when the walls were painted red. Now, not so much. So I took that baby apart and had this mess to work with.




I found this wrapping paper at Michaels in the Dollar bin. 




I loved it so much that I went back and bought 2 more rolls! 




I popped the plastic medallions out and painted them turquoise. 


The grand total for this project was $1 for the roll of wrapping paper. Awesomeness!


That's where I'm at now. The frames need to be painted white and then I can put everything back together. I just know it's going to look fabulous when it's all done!


Have a great day!!


Linking up to the following parties:




































HOG
HookingupwithHoH

11 comments:

  1. Well I'd say you are rocking it this week even if IKEA let you down.......love your DIY art and the keys are too cool. Now what else are you up too, it looks good. I saw the same paper at Micheal's too and thought about it.
    Keep the great ideas coming, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the keys on the cabinet door! I just posted framed keys on my blog. :-)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the keys and the color combinations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both things are coming along really well. I like both versions of the key art but I can see that the turquoise one will be great with your library table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it turned out! I go back and forth on how much distressing I like too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. Thank you so much for linking up to last weeks show and share. Make sure to come back and link up this week with your latest project.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of yellow
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both, and really like the keys. Keys just seem so warm, wondering where they have been used. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best at Andrea's blog. Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori! Love those keys and the turquoise. I can't wait to see how you finish your other project. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to let you know you were featured today, feel free to stop by and button up =)
    http://www.oasisaccents.com/sundays-best-features/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I read each and every comment and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit Thrifty Decor Mom.