Friday, February 3, 2012

A Free Sign

Happy Friday! I just finished up a super easy and FREE project. Remember the family sign I made last year for my kitchen? 




Well, I kinda took it down and used it in my new library.




I love it on the gallery wall but that left an empty space in the kitchen.


I've always wanted a "GROCERY" sign for my kitchen so I made one. I used a piece of my neighbors fence that fell off into my yard. They don't really take care of their fence (or anything else for that matter) and it's literally falling apart. I'm being totally serious. 


Here is what I started with . . .


1 broken and weathered fence board
Letters printed out in size and font I wanted




I cut out the letters, laid them out on the board and traced around each one.






Then I used white paint (that I already had) and colored in each letter.




After the paint dried I used a little sand paper to rough up the edges of each letter.


Here is my new FREE sign!






I just have to say that we live in a fairly nice neighborhood . . . really! Our neighbors just don't care how their house or yard looks. We're the total opposite so it really stinks living next to people like them. I think it's kinda funny that I have a piece of their fence hanging in my kitchen now . . . ha ha!




Have a great weekend!


Linking up to the following parties:








































































Making The World Cuter





























16 comments:

  1. Love the sign. We live on a main highway, but our house sits on 9-1/2 acres with woods on all sides except the front so no neighbors for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Wonder if said neighbor follows your blog! Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain, we had neighbors like that for years and years before we moved. I enjoy a free project and your sign turned out great!
    Amy@homehappyhome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg -that is hilarious!!
    I love the sign- go you!
    Im making one of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh lovely! i love me some groceries! xo

    www.northerncottage.net

    Have you heard about the new LINKY FOLLOWERS adventure? Join me & read about it here:

    http://www.northerncottage.net/2012/02/new-way-to-connect-and-photo-day-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, It looks really great. I also hope that your neighbors can find some inspiration in the beauty you create.
    Trine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sign! Gotta find me some old boards! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sign! I wish my neighbors didn't take care of their yard!! LOL!!

    Thanks for linking up at A simply Klassic Home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, I love this! And I love the detailed instructions. I always feel left out of the "vinyl loop" since I don't have one of those machine-a-ma-jigs. This is so nice to see it done this way...great tutorial! Thanks bunches for linking up to Mop It Up Mondays!! Have a great week!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Take that neighbors! What a great way to use that. I have pinned this post. I am a new Pinterest follower visiting from Making the World Cuter. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well at least now you can think that your neighbor gave you a new sign. It is really pretty, love the weathered boards. Great job! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for stopping by & linking up! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, you definitely took lemons and made lemonade ! Great idea !

    I'm wondering the same as others, have you changed your linking system for us followers ? We don't want to lose track of your super blog !

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH that is so Cute!!! I love, love it!! I am totally doing this when I have my own kitchen! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. lori this is great, its amazing how great an old piece of wood can look, i would love for you to link this up at http://twiggstudios.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-show-off-linky-party.html
    many thanks aimee xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new sign. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I read each and every comment and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit Thrifty Decor Mom.