3 view header

3 view header

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thrifty Tips and Ideas

Hey hey my people! Today I'm sharing some thrifty tips and ideas . . I am The Thrifty Decor Mom after all!




Meal Planning
By planning meals for the week I have all the ingredients I need and don't have to make unnecessary trips to the store. We also try to limit eating out to once a week.






Homemade Laundry Soap
I started making my own laundry soap a few months ago. It's easy to make, lasts a loooong time and is super cheap inexpensive! Go here or here for recipes.






Homemade Cleaners
There are several reasons for making your own cleaners. It's A LOT cheaper, environmentally friendly and doesn't contain harsh chemicals that can irritate allergies and asthma.




Here are a few recipes that I like:


Glass Cleaner
3 cups water
2 Tbsp. rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
5 drops lavender essential oil (optional for scent)
1/2 Tbsp. liquid castile soap


Use a funnel to pour water, alcohol, vinegar and oil into spray bottle. Shake. Add soap. Shake well.


**Remember to pick up some spray bottles at the dollar store for your homemade cleaners!


DIY Mrs. Meyers Countertop Spray
I absolutely LOVE the Mrs. Meyer's products, however they can be a bit pricey. I decided to purchase the large bottle of Mrs. Meyer's All Purpose Cleaner for around $8. You can use this to make your own countertop spray (and other household cleaners). 




To make the spray pour 8 oz of warm water and 4 tablespoons of Mrs. Meyer's All Purpose Cleaner into a spray bottle and shake well.


The bottle of All Purpose Cleaner will last a looooong time! The picture above shows the bottle that I purchased over 6 months ago. 




Another tip I'm sharing is from my BFF. Put a few drops of essential oil (any scent you like) on a cotton ball and toss it in your vacuum cleaner bag. As you vacuum, the scent will be released and your house will smell like you've been cleaning for hours!




Stop back again soon . . . I'll be sharing how to decorate and organize your home using items from Family Dollar.




Linking up to the following parties:











1 comment:

  1. Lori, thanks so much for linking back to Plumberry Pie for the laundry detergent! I'm your newest follower:).
    Kim

    ReplyDelete