3 view header

3 view header

Saturday, March 31, 2012

I created a mudroom in my garage!

I love my house . . . but there are a few things I wish I could change. A mudroom off the garage would be nice. Since there was no way Handyman Hubby was going to actually build one I had to get creative (and not spend a lot of money). 


The area by the door leading into the house seemed like a good place for my "pretend" mudroom. We started by cleaning out the garage and then I remembered to take a before picture.


Warning! This is scary!




In the winter we tend to just leave stuff all over the place. It's just too darn cold to crawl into the attic and put away Christmas decorations or anything else! Now that spring is here we tackled this disaster . . . aka our garage.


I started off with these fabric drawer cubes that were FREE! I labeled and organized each drawer so we can actually find stuff! 




I took an old coat rack and painted it my fave aqua color. I hung my reusable grocery bags here so I can just grab them on my way out. The clock is from Meijer's and was only $5.




Here is my mudroom area by the door. Everything is organized and clean. Well, as clean as a garage can be. I put a fresh coat of paint on the door, stairs and walls. I ordered the vinyl from an Etsy shop. 




The mirror was in my entryway before I turned the dining room into a library. I knew it would be perfect for this area. Lots of hooks for coats, bags and umbrellas plus a mirror so you can check your hair on the way out!  : )




There is also a shoe rack and boot tray right by the door.




I used the old area rug from my family room to cover the cold concrete floor. 


This is right inside the door from the garage. I have more hooks and another boot tray along with a message board. There is also a bench for putting on and taking off shoes.



So what do you think? It's not as awesome as a real mudroom but I'm really happy with it! It's nice to come home and walk through that area now that it's all clean and organized.


The best part is how much money I didn't spend. I used stuff I already had and only purchased 2 new items.


Wall Clock - $5.00
Door Vinyl - $8.00


A $13 mudroom - not bad!





Linking up to the following parties:




Days of Chalk and Chocolate

18 comments:

  1. It's lovely!! We also don't have a real mudroom, and I was also thinking of using the space in the garage next to the door ... so you gave me some wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing! By the way, your before pics aren't so very scary... ;) Isn't that what most garages look like ... at least ours does!
    Jule

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lori that is just fantastic. And for that cost too! I wish our house was big enough for a mud room - my carpets really suffer in Winter. I'm inspired though - time to get thinking xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Lori! Garages are so hard to keep clean and organized - I need to do some work in ours for sure. I bet it is a good feeling every time you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on Classy Clutter. This looks great! Very clever way to use what you have and make what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Lori, this doesn't even look like a garage! And since we have the same model of home, I can say that mine, well, doesn't look like this! :) Well done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great! Way to be inventive, using what you already had and creating a space that didn't exist before. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! So nice to make good use of a space like that.

    Thanks for sharing at Simply Klassic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great job you've done. Very functional and beautiful. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the feeling. I long for a mudroom of my own and have thought of doing something similar in our garage. Looks great!
    Amy@Homehappyhome

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks wonderful and its great that you could reuse items you already had.

    I would try to put a bench into the garage though as you are most likely to put on and take of your shoes out there (cuts down on the mess inside) There are some nice cheap ones with cubbies underneath where you could store mittens, hats and baseball caps in to add even more storage options.

    I so wish we would have a mud room or even better a garage. I love checking out your blog, just keep them coming.

    Nathalie
    from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved it! Very nice. It looks very organized and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your organization. I wish I had a space like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So creative!! It looks awesome and it helps the family with keeping everything organized. Come over and do mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you created the illusion of a mud room. I don't have a laundry room, just a washer and dryer in the garage. I am going to create an illusion of a laundry room. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! If I had an attached garage I would love to do something like this....my garage is no attached! :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. That turned out so cute!! I love this idea! I love the mirror in the garage! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice solution! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing how you solved this problem. I'm wondering how it can help me. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great and for so cheap! :)
    We are running a Before and After Link party to support Habitat for Humanity, with a chance to be featured on other big blogs and win gift cards. Would love if you entered! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/2012-before-after-series/

    ReplyDelete