3 view header

3 view header

Thursday, August 30, 2012

DIY Topiary








Hey my friends! I have a DIY project to share with you today. This is quite possibly the easiest, cheapest and quickest project I've ever done!

Meet Mr. Topiary . . .


Isn't he the cutest little topiary you've ever seen!

Here is what you need to make your own topiary . . .


Faux Boxwood Ball - I found mine at Hobby Lobby last year. I used a coupon and it cost me around $2.00. You can find these at most craft stores and they are inexpensive.

Metal Container With Burlap Number - Head over to Michael's Craft Store and check out their clearance items. I picked this up for about $2.00 - it was 50% off the original price. If you can't find one like this you could make your own or use something you already have. 

Spanish Moss - You will only need a tiny bit for this project. I always keep a bag or two of moss in my craft supply. It's inexpensive, a little goes a long way and you can use it for all kinds of crafts.

Branches - Don't buy these at the craft store! Go outside and clip a few tiny branches off a tree or shrub. 

Styrofoam - This is another item I always keep in my craft supply. Just cut off a small piece to fit in the bottom of the container to hold the branches in place.

Are you ready for the very complicated tutorial?


Place styrofoam into bottom of container. Add branches. Place moss around branches to hide styrofoam. Stick branches into boxwood ball. That's it! Now you have a cute little topiary for about $5.


I love Mr. Topiary on my console table! 

Happy crafting!





I've been featured!


Linking up:












Jennifer Rizzo/Fabulously Creative Link Party

11 comments:

  1. Great project! Love that it's easy and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!! I'm going to try this - need a couple topiaries, but didn't want to shell out $30 EACH! Perfect, thank you! ~Liz@NaptimeDecorator

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, I love this! I noticed you are in Columbus, I live in Cleveland! Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaay cute...I need 2 of these, larger, for a mantel. I will start looking for the containers. Did you stencil the number on a burlap patch? This is really cute. Thanks....
    Over from Katherine Corner...
    I am linking up to follow you. :) Come on over to see me.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Topiary is very handsome! I love topiaries and it seems like they look great anywhere. The little container is so cute. I'm loving spanish moss too. I've been using it for a lot of things lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this ( I bought one for 30.00 and like yours much better )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, simple and elegant. Thank you for sharing your lovely post at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop Linky Party xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute. Topiaries just like this one usually cost a fortune. I cant believe it was so inexpensive to create! I'm following from Mop It Up Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well he definitely is the cutest topiary I've seen in a while. Love your vignette simple and elegant. I've always wanted to make one and don't know why I haven't! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this is my kind of greenery - easy and I can't forget to water it :) I'll be featuring you a little later today ... thanks for sharing this at the {what's shakin' link party}!!

    ReplyDelete