Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How A TV Commercial Started My New Project . . . "Relaxing Master Bedroom Retreat"


Hey my friends! How's that for the longest
 and weirdest post title ever! 

Okay, so a few weeks ago my kids saw a commercial for a mattress company. Apparently you are supposed to replace your mattress every 8-10 years. They wanted to know how old their mattresses were and if they could get new ones. Handyman Hubby and I looked at each other and at the same time said "Hey, how old is our mattress?" Now this is really embarassing for me to admit but our mattress was 19 years old. Please don't judge. I know how gross that is. Like, gag-me-with-a-spoon gross. It's something we just never thought about until the kiddos brought it up.

I'm happy to say that we purchased a new mattress and I even got a new set of sheets! I've never spent that much on sheets but you get what you pay for. They are soooo nice!

So now I have this nice new bed and sheets but the quilt from my old bed is too small. Oh darn! The new mattress is a lot thicker so it looks like I'm shopping for new bedding. I can think of worse things.  

You all know that with my OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Decorating) problem I can't just get new bedding and leave it at that. Oh no. It's time for a "Relaxing Master Bedroom Retreat"!

Here is a before photo so you can see what I'm working with . . .


I really want to create a comfortable room that I can retreat to when I need to relax and unwind. Not that I have a lot of stress is my life or anything. Just saying.

This is my inspiration . . .





I love the idea of a sunburst mirror above the bed. That could be a fun DIY project. The bedside table needs a few new accessories. I'm thinking a vintage fan, old books and maybe a vintage clock. Then of course there is the bedding. Why do I have a feeling it's going to be hard to find what I want. It's not like I'm not that picky. 







So now you know how a TV commercial started my Master Bedroom Project. Weird. Yes, but that's how we roll around here.

 Have an awesome day!




If you're new to Thrifty Decor Mom I'd like to welcome you! I hope you find some inspiration and ideas here. Remember to "follow" me and sign up for emails so you never miss a new post!

5 comments:

  1. I am currently loving vintage fans, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its okay to be thrifty but we should make sure the quality of the mattress and the durability..and make sure that its comfortable and would not cause you back aches..

    discount mattress philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how your room turns out! Good luck with everything, your inspiration rooms look amazing by the way!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing your home tour at Blissful and Domestic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you will make your room fantastic! I am loving the vintage fan pic! That looks familiar! :) I am so happy that you got a new mattress. Funny how we never think of things like that for ourselves, but it really does make such a difference. AND it was the catapult for you now wanting and getting to change the whole room!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I read each and every comment and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit Thrifty Decor Mom.